Zucchini and Rice Casserole40 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This is a great recipe to use all that zucchini from your garden, cheesy and delicious!” - by Paula
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Bring water to boil, add rice. When water returns to a boil, reduce temperature to a low. Cover rice and cook until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven's broiler. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cut ends from zucchini and steam until tender. Reserve 2 zucchini for garnish, then dice remaining zucchini.
- Combine butter and oil in a Dutch oven and heat until butter is melted. Add rice and diced zucchini, then saute until golden, stirring frequently. Stir in the cheeses until melted and add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool slightly, then stir in eggs quickly. Pour into a prepared baking dish and sprinkle generously with bread crumbs.
- Slice reserved zucchini and arrange around the diced mixture. Drizzle melted butter over top.
- Broil about 6 inches from the source of heat until lightly browned and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 262 cal
- 17.5 g
- 19 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (40)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe is definitely a good starter. I gave it 5 stars after making the following changes: used 2c. brown rice (instead of white) and cooked it in vegetable broth instead of water, increased the..." See more parmesan cheese to 3/4 c., increased the shredded cheddar to about 5 oz, increased the eggs to 4. I also followed other reader's advice and sauteed the zucchini with 1/2 c. margerine (omitted the oil) and about 1 T. of minced garlic instead of steaming it. I also added about 1 c. of diced carrots to the saute for color and extra vitamins. I topped it with 3/4 c. crushed Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs and baked it at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes and did not broil it at all. It came out delicious and my whole family loved it. Next time I will probably top it with some cheese, as well as the cracker crumbs."
"This was a great way to use up all the summer zucchini! My only complaint was the rice seemed unapparent, so I doubled the amount of rice, and lowered the amount of oil/butter and it was yummy!!..." See more"
"I made this for Christmas Eve dinner and it made a big hit, especially with my big brothers! These are the changes that I made which made it so easy! Cut off the ends of the zucchini and discard, th..." See moreen dice the rest. When sauteing, I used only the 1/4 c. butter and added 2 c. cooked rice. Continue the recipe as written but omitted the bread crumbs to cut down on the carbs. Placed in a greased casserole dish and microwaved until hot--delicious! I was concerned about the number of people it said that it served but I found that it really served 6-8 nicely."
Chicken Zucchini Rice Casserole
Zucchini Herb Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.