Old Time Chicken Divan82 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“Not for your typical rushed meal, this classical dish is worth the work! For another presentation, place sliced almonds on top of the chicken and broccoli before the final sprinkling of cheese.” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli, and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water to chill. Place drained broccoli into a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until the flour begins to turn from white, to a pale beige, about 3 minutes. Whisk in sherry, chicken broth, and heavy cream until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the hot cream sauce over the broccoli and top with chicken slices. Stir Parmesan cheese into the remaining sauce, and pour over the chicken slices. Sprinkle top with extra cheese, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through, then broil for a few minutes until top has turned golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 519 cal
- 32.7 g
- 18.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (82)Rate This Recipe
"The real deal and worth the effort. If you note the other reviews, the ones with less than four or five stars all say that they substituted main ingredients (fried chicken?). Do us a favor and don't r..." See moreeview if you make major alterations to a dish. Submit a new recipe instead."
"This is basically the same recipe I have used for 15+ years. I use dry white wine instead of sherry. Brown the breasts in a little oil first. Dont parboil the broccoli, it cooks in the oven.. Sprinkle..." See more more cheese on top to brown. The real dish, no canned soup slop. Serve with glazed carrots, green salad and garlic bread. Yum."
"We loved this dish, but I made modifications...I spread a layer of cooked fettucine on the bottom of the baking dish, before layering the broccoli on top, then spooned half the sauce on top of the n..." See moreoodles and broccoli. I baked the chicken first, seasoned with a pepper blend, cayenne pepper and onion powder, then sliced it into 1/4" slices to lay on top of the broccoli. The sauce by itself was bland, so I sauteed three cloves of minced garlic and a 1/2 cup of minced onion in cooking spray, then mixed it in with the sauce along with 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper! I replaced the heavy cream with 2% Evaporated Milk, and it was rich and creamy with very little fat! It's a keeper!"
Chicken a la King I
Broccoli Chicken Divan
Just swipe to see more like this.