Homemade Banana Pudding Pie167 Reviews
“Can't stand those instant banana puddings. This one is old and authentic!” - by Pat
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with a layer of alternating vanilla wafers and banana slices.
- To Make Pudding: In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar with flour. Mix well, then stir in half the milk. Beat egg yolks and whisk into sugar mixture. Add remaining milk and butter or margarine.
- Place mixture over low heat and cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour half of pudding over vanilla wafer and banana layer while still hot.
- Make another layer of alternating vanilla wafers and banana slices on top of pudding layer. Pour remaining pudding over second wafer and banana layer.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until whites are stiff. Spread meringue into pie pan, making sure to completely cover pudding layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, just until meringue is browned. Chill before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 504 cal
- 12.8 g
- 92.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (167)Rate This Recipe
"This is the best homemade pudding my husband and I have ever tasted...but please reduce your sugar...I find 1/2 c. sugar to 2 c. whole milk provides just the perfect backdrop for the eggs and vanilla ..." See moreextract to show off their flavors. Oh my goodness, it is really that good!!! My husband and I also think the dish could use more pudding, so next time we will increase milk to 3 c., and adjust sugar accordingly."
"Yum!! I usually use the recipe on the vanilla wafer box, but, I didn't have the wafers, yet, so... I doubled the recipe (because I like extra...I'll share that in a minute). I added about 1/2 tsp sa..." See morelt. I cut back on the sugar to 3/4 cup (1.5 cup for double recipe). Cooked on med.hi. heat in a double boiler until it thickened, (be patient and make sure to cook at high enough heat, but not too high). When done, I poured 1/2 of pudding into a bowl and added the vanilla (2 tsp) and chill before making the banana pudding, hot pudding has always made my wafers mushy. The other half of the pudding stayed in the double boiler on low heat and got a good dollop of semi-sweet chocolate chips, they melt quickly and VOILA! Delicious chocolate pudding!! Since this is a sweet pudding, even with the sugar cut back, bittersweet chocolate chips (or cocoa powder) would be good. I'll put this one in my recipe file, hopefully my family will carry on the YUMMM. ;-)"
Banana Pudding IV
Stovetop Banana Pudding
Just swipe to see more like this.