Grilled Beer Chicken55 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a chicken recipe from ranch hand trail cooks. The 'garlic on the coals' trick will probably bring your neighbors over, so beware, and cook plenty!!” - by Tom Bartlett
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the beer, butter, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and seasoned pepper. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until butter is melted and mixture is hot. Set aside.
- Season chicken generously with the garlic powder, ground black pepper and seasoned salt to taste.
- Brush the grilling surface with oil. Place chicken onto the grill bone side down. Close the lid, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken skin is starting to blister.
- Turn the chicken over, so it is bone side up. They will be black and charred, but the chicken meat will be fine. Pierce the membrane of the bone with a fork, and ladle some of the beer mixture into the 'cup' formed by the bones. Throw a teaspoon or so of garlic powder on the coals, close the lid, and seal the vents.
- Repeat ladling the beer mixture into the chicken, and throwing garlic powder onto the coals every 5 minutes, until the mixture is gone. The chicken should be tender and juices should run clear.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 988 cal
- 74.3 g
- 9.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (55)Rate This Recipe
"I don't eat chicken on a bone often, so I made this marinade and used boneless chicken breasts. Brushed it on the chicken while cooking and turned out excellent! Very tender, juicy and flavorful. ..." See more Would make again"
"If I could give this one 10 stars, I would. I've made this one about 15 times now. Usually, after 2 or 3 times, I'll change a recipe around a little just to experiment. Not this one. It's too good..." See more to fool with! Any time we discuss cooking chicken on the grill, it always comes back to this recipe."
Beer Butt Chicken
The Best Beer Can Chicken Ever
Just swipe to see more like this.