Westrup Whole Wheat Bread20 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 10 min
“I developed this recipe over the years when I was trying to provide good nutrition for my children. Now my husband and I eat half a loaf the minute it comes out of the oven! We haven't bought bread at the grocery in years.” - by Shannon Westrup
Original recipe yields 3 loaves
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, wheat bran, 3 cups of the bread flour, wheat germ, milk powder, brown sugar, wheat gluten, sesame seeds, and salt; stir well. Mix in the yeast mixture, oil and eggs.
- Add the remaining bread flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into three equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into three lightly greased 8x4 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (40 total)
- 153 cal
- 2.7 g
- 26.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (20)Rate This Recipe
"a flavorful bread, soft and not crumbly. Keeps very well; freezes well. Unprocessed bran might be used instead of wheat germ for even more fiber...." See more"
"I halved this recipe and made it in the bread machine on the whole wheat cycle. It made a nice large loaf with good texture. I enjoy the hearty taste, and will definitely make it again. ..." See more"
Simple Whole Wheat Bread
Classic Whole Wheat Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.