Picante Chicken Rice Burritos87 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“Flour tortillas filled with a mildly spicy, cheesy, picante chicken and rice mixture, then topped with more cheese and baked. A great dinner inspired by Mexican flavors. This is my favorite chicken recipe!” - by IDIEHMARIE77
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- To Make Chicken Mixture: In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and saute green onion and garlic until soft; stir in chicken, chili powder, 1/4 cup broth and 3/4 cup picante sauce. Heat through, then set aside.
- To Make Rice: In a large saucepan, bring rice and remaining 2 1/4 cups broth to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups picante sauce, cover and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To Assemble Burritos: Stir chicken mixture into rice, then add olives and 2 cups of the cheese. Mix well. Spoon 1 cup of filling onto each tortilla, off center. Fold sides and ends over filling, then roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in two 9x13 inch baking dishes and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 1144 cal
- 46.2 g
- 104 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (87)Rate This Recipe
"The flavor for these burritos was excellent, however, with no sauce to go with them, they were very dry. Next time I will use a salsa verde to lay in the bottom of the pan and on top of the burritos...." See more Also, I used minute rice with no problem (no need to let it simmer longer with the picante sauce). Thanks!"
"Yeah this was a great recipe, taken practically word for word from Taste of Home - I have it in my 1997 Taste of Home yearbook. It calls for 1/3 c scallions instead of the 1/2 cup here. In any eve..." See morent - this is a great recipe. The prep time is a little long but I freeze leftovers individually and it's a treat to have them waiting. The amount of chicken can be changed - it really doesn't affect the flavor. I've added rinsed black beans to the mix as well."
"I'm only giving this recipe 4 stars since I think there should be some sort of sauce poured over the burritos before baking. I did not do this when making my first batch and the cheese dried out. How..." See moreever, after pouring some taco sauce & sour cream over the top they were still delicious! I only used 1/2 of the chicken/rice mix and froze the other 1/2 to use another day. This one is a keeper!"
Speedy Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
Chinese Chicken Fried Rice II
Just swipe to see more like this.