Sweet Zucchini Relish87 Reviews
- Prep: 50 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 12 hr
“My mother's sweet zucchini relish is a family favorite. It's delicious on hamburgers and hot dogs.” - by Gail
Original recipe yields 7 pint jars
- Place the zucchini and onion in a large, non-metallic bowl, and sprinkle the salt overtop. Use your hands to evenly mix the salt throughout the zucchini. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day, drain the zucchini in a colander, and rinse well with cool water. Squeeze out excess water and set aside. Place the red and green bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch into a large pot. Add the nutmeg, turmeric, celery seed and pepper. Stir to combine, then add the drained zucchini. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sterilize 7 one-pint jars and lids to hold relish. Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.
- Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all).
Amount Per Serving (112 total)
- 47 cal
- 0 g
- < 1%
- 11.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (87)Rate This Recipe
"I have made a similiar recipe for about 20 years now. Once you have tried this relish you never want to go back to store bought. The difference between this recipe & mine is.. I use apple cider vine..." See moregar, 4 cups sugar, 1 TBSLP dry mustard & 1/8 cayenne pepper and a 2 tsp. cornstarch. I found mine just perfect for sweetness. So, to all you relish users..... try it...You'll love it!!!!"
"I made 2 versions. First one was as written and it was really good...but a little too sweet for our tastes...would be great on a hotdog! 2nd version, I reduced the sugar to 2 cups, and added 5 finel..." See morey chopped and seeded jalapenos. I will make this EVERY year. Easy prep...doesn't involve a 4 day process.. Great recipe!"
"Thank you for submitting this recipe! This is a wonderful use for the zucchini that seem to take over my garden over night. The only change I made was to sub a little of the white vinegar with cider v..." See moreinegar as I was about 1/2 cup short. I used half-pint jars and processed for ten minutes. This is a keeper and I will be making it again and again!"
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Salad
Sweet Tomato Relish
Just swipe to see more like this.