Chunk o' Cheese Bread7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“This bread is chock full of cheesy goodness. Your children will gobble it down.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 loaf
- In a medium sauce pan, stir together water, cornmeal and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the molasses and shortening. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let sit until creamy, about ten minutes. Add the cornmeal mixture and the whole wheat flour; blend well. Add the bread flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough comes together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten. Place 1/3 of the cheese cubes on the flattened dough and fold the dough up to enclose the cubes. Do this twice, until all of the cheese is incorporated into the dough. You may have to let the dough rest for a few minutes between folding. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form each piece into a round. Place the rounds on lightly greased baking sheets, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until nearly doubled; about 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form each piece into a round. Place the rounds on lightly greased baking sheets, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until nearly doubled; about 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 239 cal
- 9 g
- 30.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"I wasn't able to work anywhere near the listed amount of flour into this dough, so I think my loaves were smaller than they should have been. I used 1/2 lb of mild cheddar instead of American cheese a..." See morend garlic butter as my shortening. Tastes great! The cornmeal mixture boils rapidly and spits, so be careful! "
"this is the BEST!! it doesn't last more than a couple of days-my family LOVES it!..." See more"
"I just made this bread. I was curious to see how the molasses would turn out and affect the flavor. It was great. It came out with a FANTASTIC crunchy/chewy crust like you usually only find in arti..." See moresan bread or with a steam machine. I used shredded cheddar jack cheese instead of processed cheese, and just kneaded it in. Make sure to let the dough rest after adding the whole wheat flour. (Whole wheat flour absorbs more water more slowly, so if you don't let it rest, you knead too much white flour in and it turns out dry.) I also added two teaspoons of minced garlic into the cornmeal mix. Fantastic."
Cheese Herb Bread
Cheddar Cheese Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.