Italian Special Sweet Fried Ravioli Cookies15 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“Fried ravioli cookie with a chick pea and chocolate filling. This recipe gets extra points for originality!” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 36 cookies
- Melt semisweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool. Heat the 2 cups shortening in a large, heavy skillet or deep fryer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the pureed garbanzo beans, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in the dates and nuts. Blend with the cooled chocolate. Chill while you make the dough.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Stir in the 1/4 cup melted shortening. Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt, and fold into the egg mixture. Add extra flour if necessary to make the dough easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 3 inch circles using a cookie cutter or a large drinking glass. Place 1 teaspoon of the chocolate filling mixture onto the center of each cookie, fold over into a half circle, and pinch to seal.
- Fry cookies in 1 1/2 inches of hot oil, turning once. Cookies should be light brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Refrigerate when cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 133 cal
- 5.7 g
- 19.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"My family had made these when I was young, but lost the recipe. This seems close! We called them "caljunes" or "caljunettis."..." See more"
"My Nana used to make these during the Christmas and Easter holidays. We used to call them "cecilottala". The only difference in Nana's recipe was that she would use ground chestnuts and honey in the..." See more paste instead of the walnuts and dates. In fact, I just had some the other day...went to heaven. Thanks so much! Boun Natale e Boun Anno Nuovo!"
Italian Wedding Cookies II
Italian Cheesecake Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.