Ukrainian Chicken Kiev59 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“A real Kiev recipe, with seasoned butter rolled up in breaded chicken breasts for a richness fit for royalty! This recipe takes a bit of time, but is well worth the effort.” - by William Anatooskin
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place each chicken breast between a sheet of wax paper and pound, using a mallet or rolling pin, to about 1/8 inch thickness; be careful not to 'break' the chicken. Wrap and refrigerate until seasoned butter is frozen.
- To Make Seasoned Butter: In a small bowl combine the softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder and mix well. Spread mixture into a 2x4 inch rectangle on a piece of aluminum foil; freeze until firm.
- When butter is firm, cut into 8 equal size pieces and place one piece on each chicken breast. Fold in edges of chicken and roll to encase butter completely. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with water. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, dill weed and flour. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish or bowl. Dip chicken rolls in seasoned flour, then egg mixture, then crumbs. Place coated chicken in a shallow dish, cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, deep fry chicken rolls for about 5 minutes, then turn over and deep fry for another 5 minutes until golden and cooked through, with no pink showing inside. Drain on paper towels, garnish with lemon slices and parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 756 cal
- 65.8 g
- 12.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (59)Rate This Recipe
"This is dry like alot of chicken dishes, my trick for all chicken I make is to marinate in BUTTERMILK for 30-40 minutes. Makes any piece of chicken tender no matter how you cook it. Hope this helps..." See more"
"Kiev has always been the requested "birthday" meal, even now that my children are adults and home for a visit. Also was the end of term foods lab test for my high school classes. If it did not "squi..." See morert butter" you did not get full marks :-) so here are a few tweeks to an already good recipe. Include oregano, parsley & real minced garlic to the chilled butter. Once wrapped around the butter, first roll the chicken in seasoned flour, then the egg wash, then the seasoned bread, cracker or potato chip (plain) crumbs THEN wrap tightly in wax paper and chill for at least a half hour, longer if time allows. Can be made a day ahead. Only unwrap when you are ready to place in the hot fat. This avoids the need for tooth picks completely."
Mexican Chicken Kiev
Just swipe to see more like this.