Sloppy Tofu9 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This vegetarian version of Sloppy Joe's is quick and tasty!” - by klberl
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place the block of tofu onto a plate, then place another plate on top. Set a 3 to 5 pound weight on top (a container filled with water works well). Press the tofu for 20 to 30 minutes, the drain off and discard the accumulated liquid.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Cut the block of tofu down the middle, then widthwise into 1/4 inch thick squares. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 minutes, the turn the pieces over, and continue baking 5 minutes more. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and allow to cool. Once the tofu is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and green pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced tofu, ketchup, sugar, mustard, and vinegar; season to taste with salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on the whole wheat hamburger buns.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 693 cal
- 19.3 g
- 111.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"if you're concerned with the texture, try cubing the tofu and freezing it solid before baking (and add a few minutes of bake time. i learned that freezing tofu gives it a much better texture if you're..." See more using it in place of some meats. you won't fool anyone into thinking it's meat, but it's a much more satisfying texture."
Lime-Curry Tofu Stir-fry
Thai Curry Tofu
Just swipe to see more like this.