Easter Grain Pie12 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 day 1 hr 30 min
“This fruity ricotta and wheat pie is dense and moist and very good. A real Italian treat for Easter.” - by PAMSTER2
Original recipe yields 2 - 9 inch pies
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Pour in wheat and allow to boil 40 minutes. As wheat is cooking, beat eggs in a large bowl while gradually adding 1 cup sugar to eggs. Mix in fruit, ricotta, vanilla extract, cinnamon, lemon rind, and orange rind.
- When wheat is ready, drain in a colander and rinse with warm water. Place 3/4 cup of cooked wheat in a small bowl, and mix in shortening and salt. Stir until shortening is melted, then stir wheat mixture into ricotta mixture along with the rest of the cooked wheat berries.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Line two 9 inch pie pans with pastry. Cut remaining pastry into strips for tops of pies. Spoon half of filling into each pan. Cover with pastry strips to form lattice tops. Crimp edges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle each pie with 1 tablespoon sugar and allow to cool at room temperature. Chill overnight before serving. Store any leftovers in refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 454 cal
- 23.3 g
- 51.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"My sister and I thought we lost my grandmother's recipe when she died only to find it here. I did not add the candied fruit and baked it in a larger spring form pan for 1 hr. It was perfect!..." See more"
"I made this pie with a few changes. I used a frozen deep dish pie crust with no top, cooked pearl barley instead of wheat berries and added roasted pine nuts to the mix. I also cooked it a little lon..." See moreger than the recipe calls for. It turned out great! Even my italian mother-in-law loved it. Now I can bring the Easter Pie to family gatherings with confidence!"
Easter Rice Pie
Grandma's Easter Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.