Double Decker Tacos64 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“The best tacos! A soft shell taco is layered with refried beans, then wrapped around a hard shell taco, which is filled with seasoned ground beef and topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, sour cream and fresh guacamole. You can top it with whatever you like, but I recommend loading it up! Also, if you don't eat meat, put melted cheese on the soft shell, and the refried beans in the hard.” - by cattfm303
Original recipe yields 12 tacos
- Place the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, and sprinkle about 3/4 of the packet of taco seasoning over the meat. Cook and stir the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until the beef is browned and crumbly, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the excess grease.
- Mash the refried beans with the water in a small saucepan, and sprinkle with the rest of the seasoning packet. Heat the refried beans over low heat until simmering.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place the crisp taco shells on a baking sheet, and warm them in the preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes.
- To make the guacamole, peel, seed, and mash the avocados in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of sour cream, the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- To build the tacos, spread each flour tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of heated refried beans. Wrap the tortilla gently around a crisp tortilla shell. Spread about 2 tablespoons of ground beef along the bottom of the crisp shell, and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded Cheddar cheese on top of the meat. Top the cheese with shredded lettuce, a sprinkle of chopped tomato and onion, and a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 458 cal
- 26.3 g
- 37.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (64)Rate This Recipe
"There are many ways to improve this taco recipe. As a Mexican, I almost cringed looking at this recipe. It's really not that hard to make it the right way but a lot of people assume it is. First off, ..." See moredon't buy canned beans, that's just full of preservatives, salt and processed chemicals. To make refried beans just mash cooked (boiled beans) with a little oil for flavor along with salt. For the meat, don't add seasoning, just sautee garlic, onion, tomato and then add meat to pan to cook and then add each spice as you like. Guacamole does not have sour cream and it includes avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime, lime zest, jalapeno salt and pepper. Also, tortillas for tacos should really be corn tortillas for the authentic Mexican taste. If you want hard shell tacos simply place meat in the tortilla and fry over a pan on each side until crispy. You can also make taquitos this way by wrapping tortilla like a flute and securing with a toothpick while frying. Finally, please use queso fresco, a moist crumbly Mexican cheese, you wont be sorry. Hope this helpas and motivates people to make homemade tacos the way a Mexican family would. =)"
"I spread the refried beans on the soft shell and then put in in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds to soften up the shell without drying it out too much before surrounding the hard shell. I like m..." See moreine with queso, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. My hubby likes lettuce, tomato, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and taco sauce on his. Also, as it indicates in the ingredients list by specifying a size, it is quite important that you use the right size soft shells that fit the size of the hard shells so you don't have too much or too little outside coverage. Great recipe!"
Fry Bread Tacos II
Crunchy Corn Chip Tacos
Just swipe to see more like this.