Mac and Cheese and Beer6 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“Inspired by cheddar beer soup and mac and cheese. Use a beer that isn't too hoppy, and remember the quality of the beer influences the quality of the final dish.” - by Jan
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Combine the crushed pretzels and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil. Cook until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep pot, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Place the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off the bacon fat, reserving 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan with the reserved bacon fat over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk the mustard, the beer, and finally the milk into the flour mixture; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, bacon, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Turn off the heat, and stir in the cooked macaroni. Sprinkle with the pretzel and cheese mixture before serving.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 342 cal
- 14.1 g
- 36.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"I'm a big of a beer freak, and after having the mac n' beer cheese down at the Stone Brewery in San Diego, I HAD to give this recipe a try. A bit labor intensive for a pasta dish (it really did take ..." See moreme a good solid hour) but the result is good so no complaints. It could use a little more cheese flavor. I used sharp cheddar and it still wasn't particularly strong. This time I used a nice hoppy amber ale...and I think the hops were a little too much. I'm a big hophead so it was ok for me, but I imagine a lot of people wouldn't like the bitterness. A nice stout or porter would probably be a safe bet for this recipe. Overall, not quite as good as what I got at Stone, but tasty for sure. There's a lot of variations you can do with this recipe, so it's a good place to start."
"This recipe has a lot of potential! I need to preface this be saying Mr. LTH and I love, love, love beer, yet do NOT, as a rule, enjoy foods cooked with/in beer. Yet, this recipe intrigued me and I ..." See moretook a risk and made it anyway (come on, cheese, bacon, beer, pretzels?!). As written, it's a little bland (I more than doubled the garlic and couldn't taste it!), but with a few minor tweaks could be my second favorite mac & cheese (nothing's going to top our recipe!). I'd rec increasing both the garlic and the bacon significantly (the bacon taste was almost undetectable, sadly) and adding a dash of dry mustard, as well as the *wet* mustard. I'd also rec using a variety of flavorful cheeses. I also found I needed to cook my *roux* a lot longer to get it to thicken up, so don't start boiling your noodles until the white sauce has begun to simmer. This is def worth giving a try!"
"As is, this is four stars. The way it was recieved, it's three. I made the cheese sauce according to the recipe and it wasn't quite cheesy enough. The beer is a nice touch, it just needed more cheese...." See more I tripled the cheese. My kids don't care for celery so I doubled the carrot and used a whole package of matchstick carrots. I sprinkled more cheese on top before adding the pretzel mixture. Smells great, I hope it meets my family's macaroni and cheese expectations. EDITED: This was interesting. My littlest wouldn't eat it and my eldest ate it with reservations. I can't wait to see what my husband says. I thought it was edible, just not something I'd make again. Sorry. I really wanted this to work out."
Old School Mac n' Cheese
Easy Mac and Cheese Muffins
Just swipe to see more like this.