Ricotta Pie11 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 3 hr
“Flecks of creamy chocolate are mingled with the richness of ricotta cheese and lots of eggs. This is a traditional Easter pie, but it's good anytime!” - by CONNIE263
Original recipe yields 2 9-inch pies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- To Make Crust: Place flour in a large bowl. Cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in 2 beaten eggs, milk, and vanilla extract, stirring just until all ingredients are combined and dough forms a ball. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll out 2 pieces of dough into 12 inch circles. Fit into two 9 inch pie pans. Roll out remaining dough into a rectangle 10 inches wide; cut into 12 strips and reserve for tops of pies.
- To Make Filling: In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, sugar, salt, 10 beaten eggs, and grated chocolate bar until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Spoon half of mixture into each pastry shell. Use reserved pastry strips to form a lattice on top of each pie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes, until a knife inserted in filling comes out clean. Cool before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 494 cal
- 28.8 g
- 41.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"My Grandmother used to make a lucious Ricotta Pie every Easter. Unfortunatley, never had anything written down, as the recipe was in her head. This recipe is very, very close to what she made. She n..." See moreever put the chocolate in her pie, but a lot of the other Italian ladies did. We just omit the chocolate, and it's just like Grandma used to make! Thank you so much for this recipe!!! One beloved tradtion will continue through many more generations."
"This recipe keeps old world traditions alive. I have been making ricotta pie since I was A kid, with my Mom. This is a very similar recipe. My Mom used to put lemon and orange rind grated in batter. A..." See morelso some of the juice from the citrus fruit. I have been a chef for many years and was very impressed, great job. Happy holidays."
"made this as a dessert to take to an Italian dinner party and was a great success. The recipe is great. I have made this several times and to make a little change, I used half milk chocolate and half..." See more white chocolate which i think made it creamier, I also added 1/3 cup of ground hazel nuts."
Italian Rice Pie I
Italian Holiday Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.