Italian Cassata Cake4 Reviews
- Prep: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr
“Pound cake layered with ricotta cherry filling topped with a luscious chocolate frosting.” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 1 -3 layer cake
- Combine dried currants and 2 tablespoons Marsala in small bowl. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain cherries and cut into eighths; drain on paper towels. Drain currants.
- In a food processor, puree ricotta cheese, sugar, 3 tablespoons Marsala and whipping cream until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl. Gently mix in currants and cherries.
- Peel any loose crust from pound cake and discard. Cut pound cake lengthwise into 3 horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on serving platter. Spread half of filling over. Place second pound cake layer on top of filling. Spread remaining filling over. Arrange third pound cake layer on top of filling. Smooth sides with rubber spatula. Refrigerate cassata until filling is firm, about 2 hours.
- To make the chocolate frosting: Combine 1/2 cup reserved cherry syrup, semisweet chocolate and 1/4 cup Marsala in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Add unsalted butter a few pieces at a time and whisk until melted. Refrigerate frosting until thickened to spreading consistency, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Slide sheets of waxed paper under edges of cassata to protect the serving dish. Put 1 cup chocolate frosting to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip. Spread remaining chocolate frosting over sides and top of cassata. Pipe frosting in pastry bag in swirls on long sides and in rosettes along upper edges of cassata. Refrigerate for several hours until set. Let cassata stand at room temperature 20 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 467 cal
- 29.6 g
- 43.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This is essentially the same cake that my husband's father used to make. He was Italian and made them for family and friends on a regular basis. It was absolutely wonderful and so easy to follow. The..." See more Marsala wine makes the cake. I also saved a few cherries to decorate the top and perimeter of the cake as well. It turned out beautiful. I took it to a spaghetti dinner where it was a wonderful hit. Needless to say, we had none left to bring home. "
"This was okay, but I didn't care for the ricotta filling. I think it would taste better with cream cheese or something less grainy...." See more"
"Very authentic cake. Ricotta is the traditional cheese to use and adds a special flavour and texture that you do not achieve with cream cheese. I added some extra Italian Glace fruit - cherries, Cle..." See morementines and figs in the mix and also for decoration. Pistachios also added an extra crunch. You only need a small slice so this cake easily will feed 12 to 15 people. Great for a special occasion."
Italian Cream Cake II
Italian Love Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.