- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“Cheese-filled dumplings served with ham and cream gravy.” - by Cindy Droke
Original recipe yields 30 dumplings
- In a blender, combine cottage cheese, 2 eggs and ground black pepper to taste. Cover and blend until smooth, or beat with an electric mixer until smooth; Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, milk powder, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a small bowl, beat together 2 eggs, water and oil; combine with flour mixture.
- On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 times or until smooth. Divide dough in half and roll out each portion to a 1/8 inch thickness. Using a 4 inch round cutter, cut out rounds of dough.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each circle. Moisten the edge and fold over to form a half moon shape; pinch to seal.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add half of the dumplings and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; remove with a slotted spoon and drain. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- While the dumplings are cooking, prepare the gravy. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in ham, and cook until ham is light brown. Add 3 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir. Pour in milk all at once, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Serve over the dumplings.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 127 cal
- 4.2 g
- 14.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"This is the same recipe my family uses ... it's rich and delicious. It's a once a year kind of treat. We add a little feta to the dry curd cottage cheese to add a bit of kick. We use farmer sau..." See moresage to make our cream gravy. After the sausage is cooked through, you add butter and flour to the pan. Then you add a little milk, sour cream, and heavy cream. We also add onion. It's wonderful!"
"This has been a family favorite of ours for years, only we used bacon instead of ham and I've always liked to make them bigger even if noone else did...." See more"
"This is my first review ever! These dumplings were terrific... they definitely taste like they are a true home made recipe.. they really are a comfort food in that sense! I dont usually have powdere..." See mored milk on hand so i just used regular milk and mixed it in with the wet ingredients instead of the dry ones... it turned out fine anyway.. make sure you put enough flour before rolling out and cutting out the dough... make sure you can lift it off... the sauce tastes amazing... i did a mixture of ham and chicken cold cuts because thats all i had... i wasnt too patient with the sauce and added more flour towards the end instead of letting it thicken by itself... which was a mistake.. it turned out too thick.. and kinda turned jello-y but it was still good... very easy to make otherwise!!"
Fast and Easy Pancakes
Just swipe to see more like this.