German Chocolate Cake III532 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“A spectacular German Chocolate cake made from scratch, using cake flour.” - by Dean
Original recipe yields 1 - 3 layer 9 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 - 9 inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a small saucepan, heat water and 4 ounces chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks one at a time. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Pour into 3 - 9 inch pans Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto wire rack.
- To make the Filling: In a saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup butter, and 3 egg yolks. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool until thick enough to spread.
- Spread filling between layers and on top of cake. In a small saucepan, melt shortening and 1 ounce of chocolate. Stir until smooth and drizzle down the sides of the cake.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 735 cal
- 40.6 g
- 88.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (532)Rate This Recipe
"This cake is the best! I read a lot of reviews and here is the advice I followed: Do Not Over Mix the batter or it will fall apart! Check cake 20 min. into baking, didn't take the 30 min. the recip..." See moree called for. Make 1 1/2 amount of frosting. Add more cornstarch to thicken up frosting or add instant Vanilla pudding. I didn't add pudding, because I wasn't sure WHEN to add it in. Frosting took approx. 30 min. to cook and longer to cool. Plan on investing a good amount of time into it. (But it is well worth it!) Toast the coconut and pecans. Something new I discovered while making this: I must have over mixed because I had trouble getting the cake out of the pan. The bottom layer began to crumble. I stuck the other two pans in the freezer for approx. 1 hr? To remove the frozen cake I placed a towel soaked in very hot water on the pan and it came right out! The cake is easy to handle while frozen and thawed out in the time it took to me to frost it. (I took a good amount of time frosting it) Freezing it didn't dry it out. It tasted and looked amazing! Hope this helps!"
"My son and I made this cake for a friend whose favorite cake is German Chocolate. He's a great cook himself, and so is VERY fussy about his food. This cake turned out GREAT, and my friend was very c..." See moreomplimentary of it! Since a mixer part was missing in action, we did all the mixing and beating by hand, and it still turned out just fine. It was very moist, had great shape and texture, and looked beautiful after adding the chocolate drizzle. The next time I make it, though, I will ADD TWO EXTRA OUNCES OF CHOCOLATE TO THE CAKE MIXTURE, to make it just a touch chocolate-ier. Also, IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE ONE AND A HALF RECIPES OF THE FILLING/FROSTING. One recipe of it would not be enough, and 1 1/2 is just right. Also, TOAST THE COCONUT AND PECANS. That makes them much, much better. Be careful about burning the coconut. It toasts very quickly. A great cake that we will probably make a lot! Well worth the trouble."
"This cake was awesome. I had a profesional baker make my wife a german chocolate cake for her birthday. This cake tasted so much better than that one. My wife loves german chcolate cake and she sai..." See mored is was the best she has ever eaten. I dobled the icing it looks like alot when you make it, but it turned out just right. Also I used a little more chocolate on the top of the cake. I had to turn the heat up to get the icing to start boiling, but it turned out great. I recomend this cake very highly."
German Chocolate Cake Frosting II
Bo's Best White German Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.