Challah II40 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 3 hr
“This recipe is a sweeter version of the classic challah. It was given to me by a friend.” - by Rivka
Original recipe yields 1 - 3 pound loaf
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the oil, honey, eggs, salt and four cups of flour into the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface divide into 4 pieces and braid. Place the loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white and water; beat lightly. Brush the risen loaf with the egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 348 cal
- 11.5 g
- 54 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (40)Rate This Recipe
"This is hands-down the best bread I've ever made. Everyone goes crazy over it! The texture is dense and doughy, and the honey makes it super-sweet. I top mine with sesame seeds--simply sprinkle them..." See more on after brushing with the egg."
"The bread didn't rise the first time so I just kneaded it again and it worked. So good and easy that I am making it with my Preschool class next week...." See more"
"I thought my review could use updating after using this recipe for 10 years... This is most flavorful, beautiful challah recipe I've ever used. My only change is to slightly increase the salt: I use..." See more 2 heaping teaspoons. The dough doesn't always appear to have risen sufficiently, even given extra time, but by the time it's out of the over, it looks and tastes perfect. Thank you, Rivka!"
Michell Jenny's Challah
Easy Challah Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.