Eccles Cakes3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“Little individual pastries bursting with currants and spice. Serve with tea or coffee.” - by Polly Welby
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. cook over medium heat until melted. Add currants, candied peel, nutmeg and allspice. Continue to cook until heated through. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut into 4 inch rounds. Place a small spoonful of filling onto center of each pastry circle, draw the edges together over the fruit and pinch to seal. Turn over, then press gently with a rolling pin to flatten the cakes.
- Make a small hole or 2 small slash marks in the center of each pastry. Brush with beaten egg white, and sprinkle with sugar. Arrange on cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 280 cal
- 11 g
- 41.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I actually haven't tried this recipe yet, I just wanted to know if the submitter could please comment and say what the recipe is for the pastry? This sounds like a recipe my grandmother used to make a..." See morend when she passed away no one knew how to make this anymore. I would really love to try this recipe."
"I use puff pastry. I buy a package of frozen puff pastry and it works a treat. Also I use brown sugar not white...." See more"
"This pastry is pretty tasty! I found that I had a lot of filling left over (perhaps I didn't put enough in them?) I was afraid the currants would be over powering but they weren't. I used puff pa..." See morestry as I don't know what shortdough pastry is. I will definitely make this one again! They're great with coffee."
Chocolate Cakes with Liquid Centers
Homemade Cream Filled Individual Sponge Cakes
Just swipe to see more like this.