Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole913 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“Layers of rice, chicken breast, a creamy soup and salsa mixture and two kinds of cheese add up to a simply yummy salsa casserole! This recipe is a family favorite because it's delicious and easily made with ingredients found in the pantry.” - by Gweneth
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken breast halves into a large saucepan, and fill the pan with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from water. When cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses. In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion, and salsa. Layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup and salsa mixture, and 1/2 of the cheese mixture in prepared dish. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 477 cal
- 23.9 g
- 34.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (913)Rate This Recipe
"I was given this recipe for a semester-long class assignment in which I had to alter the recipe to have 33% less sodium, 33% less calories, and replace the white rice with a whole grain. I did this o..." See morever 5 weeks, with a different test substitution. The successful substitutions included: brown rice, elimination of the mushroom soup and using a whole can of Campbell's healthy request chicken soup, reducing the cheese by one cup and using a 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese instead of the two types of cheese. The dish continued to be the favorite of the class after each substitution. Hope everyone tries these easy substitutions!"
"Here's what I've done to make this recipe simpler. I put the chicken in the skillet with the onion and brown them both. I add the salsa and soups to the chicken and simmer till chicken is done. I m..." See moreake rice as normal. I mix the cheses right on the wax paper or parchment paper I shred it on. I layer as directed. Saves some pots!"
1 busy momma
"I only made two changes to this recipe, the first was I used a can of rotel instead of salsa and the second was that I mixed the rice and soup mixture together before layering. I put this together in..." See more the morning and than baked it in the afternoon, I covered it with reynolds non-stick foil and cooked it for 30 minutes removing the foil and baking for the last 10 minutes this keeps the cheese moist and stringy instead of crusty My whole family enjoyed this and it was even good the next day as leftovers in my husbands lunch This recipe is very adaptable you can make it as spicy your family likes. Thanks so much for posting this recipe."
Chicken Zucchini Rice Casserole
Easy and Delicious Chicken and Rice Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.