Chicken Tagine114 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 5 hr
- Ready In: 5 hr 30 min
“This Moroccan slow cooker dish is the perfect blend of sweetness and spice.” - by KJones
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces and eggplant in the heated oil; stir and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides but not cooked through. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place the browned chicken and eggplant on the bottom of a slow cooker. Layer the onion, carrots, dried cranberries, and apricots over the chicken.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, lemon juice, flour, garlic salt, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on High setting for 5 hours, or on Low setting for 8 hours.
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous, and remove from heat. Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 382 cal
- 15.2 g
- 39.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (114)Rate This Recipe
"Of all the slow cookers, in all the towns, in all the world, this recipe was made in mine. I'm not sure how Moroccan this recipe really is (at least enough to rip off a Casablanca quote, apparently),..." See more but it's hardly worth researching once you taste it. I did fail to have on hand lemon juice, having used the last of it in some hummus a few days ago, so that part is missing. I'm guessing it would have helped to further balance the sweetness, which should have been easily predicted seeing the ingredient list. That being said, I personally like a little spice in these sorts of dishes, so I may just add some form of chile pepper, whether it be fresh or dried in my next preparation of this dish, which I believe will be much sooner than much later. Regardless of it's very few shortcomings, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship (couldn't help it)."
"This tastes great and is healthy with all the fruits and vegetables. I added a first layer of chopped sweet potatoes. Can't wait to make it again!..." See more"
"This is the first time I had a "tagine" dish and I looked at a lot of other similar recipes on other sites before I settled on this one -- mostly because of the convenience of a slow cooker. It was de..." See morelicious. I substituted golden raisins instead of cranberries, since a lot of other recipes use that instead. I will be adding this to my recipe book."
Murgh Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken)
Oven-Braised Chicken Thighs with Fennel and Castelvetrano Olives
Just swipe to see more like this.