- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Traditional Greek New Year's Day bread. Served as a coffe cake for breakfast. Each person in the family gets a slice starting with the youngest and progressing to the oldest. The person who recieves the slice with the quarter in it will have good luck for the whole year!” - by Paul Menikos
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch round cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a round 10 inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and 2 cups sugar until light; add flour and stir until mixture is mealy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Stir baking powder into milk then stir into flour mixture. Mix soda and lemon juice; stir into batter. Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with nuts and 1 tablespoon white sugar, then return to oven for 20 to 30 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and gently cut a small hole in the cake. Place a quarter in the hole, then sprinkle confectioners' sugar over cake, making sure to cover the hole. Cool cake on a rack for about 10 minutes, then place a dish over the top of the pan and turn over. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 549 cal
- 24.7 g
- 74.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"Delicious...I cooked in a 10" bundt pan and that worked well! This is a nice alternative to cake...." See more"
"This was excellent, made it for brunch and it was praised a lot. Now, I tinkered a lot with the recipe as I did not have time to choose something else for the meal and was out of ingredients,YET this..." See more tasted GREAT.In case someone's in a circumstance like mine: THIS WORKS. Out of all purpose flour, I substituted 50% whole wheat flour. Also, halved this recipe as I wanted to make less. Added only one Tbs lemon juice and mixed everything with hand. Baked it in a 9"x 5" bread loaf pan.Inspite of all this, this looked great and tasted like a wonderful coffee cake. Thanks a lot for this lovely recipe Paul."
Poppy Seed Bread II
French Breakfast Puffs
Just swipe to see more like this.