Potato Coffee Cake4 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 20 min
“This is an old German recipe that's become a family favorite. I have adapted it to mix and raise the first time in your bread machine. I make it every year at Christmas for gifts and everyone loves it. It's also delicious anytime, especially warm with butter on it!” - by Oaksfan
Original recipe yields 3 round loaves
- In a small bowl, dissolve potato flakes in boiling water. Let stand until lukewarm, about 15 minutes.
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Manual cycle; press Start. The mixing and first rise of the dough will be completed in the bread machine.
- When Dough/Manual cycle is finished, remove dough and briefly knead on a floured board. Divide dough into 3 round loaves and place in three lightly greased 8 inch pie pans. Cover and let raise until doubled in size, about 60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Brush risen loaves with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 270 cal
- 6.3 g
- 46.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This is a great recipe! I wasn't so sure at first, but the next day it was even better. It is great with a little butter on each slice. Yum! I'll make this again...." See more"
"This is delicious! Very moist, and even better the next day warm with butter on it. It is easy to make, does take a little time, as do all yeast breads, but worth it. I get a lot of requests for it, a..." See morend for the recipe. Also, instead of the potato flakes and boiling water, if you have a cup of left over mashed potatoes, that works well too. Instead of mixing the mashed potato flakes with the water, I add the water with the wet ingredients, and the flakes with the dry. It works well that way."
"Sorry, but a 5 star means make it for company and make it frequently for the family. This recipe was just sweet bread with sugar on top. Basic homemade buttermilk bread would be an equally good gift..." See more, and makes a great morning treat toasted with cinnamon suger. If you want sweet, make a coffee CAKE. If you want bread, make bread. This is good, but not a show stopper."
Traditional Coffee Cake
Shari's Streusel Coffee Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.