Traditional Style Vegan Shepherd's Pie97 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a traditional-style shepherd's pie like my Mum used to make, but completely vegan. All amounts are approximate and can be altered to your tastes!” - by VeggieChefLaura
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat to medium-low, and boil the potatoes until tender, about 25 minutes; drain.
- Stir the vegan mayonnaise, soy milk, olive oil, vegan cream cheese, and salt into the potatoes, and mash with a potato masher until smooth and fluffy. Set the potatoes aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), and spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion, carrots, celery, frozen peas, and tomato until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the Italian seasoning, garlic, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and crumble the vegetarian ground beef substitute into the skillet with the vegetables. Cook and stir, breaking up the meat substitute, until the mixture is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the vegetarian meat substitute mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, and top with the mashed potatoes, smoothing them into an even layer. Sprinkle the potatoes with the shredded soy cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the casserole is hot, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 552 cal
- 24.4 g
- 64.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (97)Rate This Recipe
"This was great! I made it using dairy products instead of making it vegan however I still kept it vegetarian by using the ground beef substitute. I also used butter in the mashed potatoes instead of c..." See moreream cheese because I didn't have any. I'm always looking for tasty vegetarian recipes since recently becoming one and this is one I will definitely make again!!"
"Made this for Christmas. My brother's girlfriend is vegan, has been for several years, and we always feel bad because we're a meat and potatoes family and don't now what we can really feed her. This t..." See moreurned out quite well. She described it as "decadent" and my brother had seconds and thirds. Leftovers were finished at dinner tonight. Definitely keeping this one in my recipe box! My parents rated it as a 4. Put a little salt in the bottom half of the dish, and I think it really will earn that 5 star rating!"
Sophie's Shepherds Pie
Steff's Shepherd Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.