Southern Style French Onion Soup11 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“This is a simple, tasty recipe for a homemade French onion soup. With this recipe, you will receive many compliments.” - by Stephanie
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place the onion in the butter and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the thyme and remove from heat.
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the consomme, bay leaves and white wine, if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, stir in the sauteed onions and allow to heat through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 4 individual oven-safe bowls, filling each about 3/4 of the way. Top each bowl with 2 slices of baguette bread and then cover each with the cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 662 cal
- 27 g
- 69.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"I used two larger onions, as we like a little more "substance" in our soup, and only used 2 bay leaves. I also just added the broth and wine to the pan I had done the onions in, so I could scrape all..." See more of the onion flavour into the broth...excellent soup. Thanks for the great recipe."
Rich and Simple French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup I
Just swipe to see more like this.