Swedish Rye Bread II7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 40 min
“An aromatic rye bread with a hint of orange and honey. A friend gave me a loaf of this bread as a hostess gift and was thoughtful enough to pass along the recipe.” - by GINGER P
Original recipe yields 3 - 9x5 inch loaves
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm (110 degree F) water. Let sit until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the hot water in a large mixing bowl, add the honey, salt, sugar, orange zest, caraway seeds and butter; briefly stir. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Combine the yeast mixture with the honey orange mixture. Stir in the rye flour. Mix the bread flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough comes together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large mixing bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, lightly grease three 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into three equal pieces. Form each piece into a loaf and place in prepared pans. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the top of the loaves are golden and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 236 cal
- 2.5 g
- 48.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"This rye is moist and stays moist and soft past the first day. I added extra caraway because I love it, plus about a teaspoon of fennel as well. The extra caraway and fennel added flavor without overp..." See moreowering the taste of rye."
"This is a delicious and versitile recipe. It rises amazingly, and makes a moist, fluffy bread for the amount of rye flour it contains. I've also tried varying the amount of sugar and using different f..." See morelours in addition to the rye; it always turns out great!! "
Swedish Limpu Bread
New York Rye Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.