Potato Cheese Soup36 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“A rich potato soup that also has carrot, onion and celery. The chicken base also contributes to it's complex flavor. Chicken base is a strong reduction of chicken stock that is normally sold in a resealable plastic jar and should be kept refrigerated.” - by Shauna
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the potatoes and carrot with water to cover and boil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
- In a separate large skillet over medium heat, saute the celery and onion in the margarine for about 10 minutes.
- Drain all but about 2 cups of the water from the potatoes and carrots; add 4 cups milk. Reduce heat to low and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the onion and celery mixture to the pot and stir in the chicken soup base. Heat slowly, then add the cheese. Allow the cheese to melt, stirring all together well.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the 1/2 cup milk and pour into the soup. Mix well until thickened.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 421 cal
- 23.3 g
- 39.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (36)Rate This Recipe
"I made this soup yesterday and after tweeking it, it came out great. I ended up adding a whole block of Velvetta and 3/4 of a block of Kraft Medium Cheddar Cheese. I also only used 1/2 stick of butter..." See more instead of a whole and did not add the salt. I think next time I will add another potato and another carrot. I also ended up putting in some half and half at the end to thin it out a little. Definitely didn't need the cornstarch and milk mixture for thickening. The one thing I would like to mention is when making this soup, you must make sure to turn the heat off when adding the cheese cause if you don't you run the risk of it turning out with a curdled consistency. I took some of it to my daughters today and she thought it was better than Big Boys Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup which has always been her favorite, so boy was I happy! This one is definitely a keeper!"
"I doubled this recipe. Instead of cooking this on the stove, I threw the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion into the crockpot and covered them with organic chicken broth (instead of cooking them in p..." See morelain water and in place of the chicken soup base) and cooked them all day. After they'd cooked, I quickly ran a potato masher through them for a quick coarse texture, then added the milk (condensed milk, it's easier to cook with) and the Velveeta. I did not need the cornstarch as the potato soup was thick enough on it's own thanks to the Velveeta. I did add a couple personal touches (a few spices, little Frank's Hot Sauce, sauteed green onion and fresh minced garlic, real bacon bits). I think had I not added the extras, it would have turned out quite bland. The end result was a decent soup and the boys seemed to enjoy it, especially my husband."
Ham, Potato, and Cheese Soup
Creamy Slow Cooker Potato Cheese Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.