Wellesley Fudge Cake II2 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“This is a delicious chocolate cake that can be made for any occasion. The frosting and cake are both made from scratch. This cake serves twelve people.” - by Sierra
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch 3 layer cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- In a large clean glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold 1/3 of whites into batter to lighten it, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain. Divide batter into the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting: Melt the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and pinch of salt. Frosting can be used warm to fill and frost the 3 layers.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 445 cal
- 22 g
- 63.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"The icing on this cake is absolutely AWFUL!I am a chocolate lover but i had to throw the cake away everone that tasted it hated the icing i am going to delete it from my recipe box...." See more"
"Ok, my review is for the cake alone, not the icing. I cooked the cake only, and added the "gooey chocolate icing" from another recipe on here. The cake alone was wonderful!! It was very light and h..." See moread a wonderful taste. I didn't do the 3 pans, instead I did one 9x13 glass pan, increased time to 35 min. I also decreased the cocoa to 1/2 cup, as I only had dark chocolate cocoa. When it came out, I cut a small piece to try the cake, then drizzled the gooey choc. icing on it while both were hot. The gooey soaked right in, and what a treat!! Very sweet though. Just how I like it!!!"
Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.