Sweet Onion Pie60 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“This delicious pie has a buttery cracker crumb crust and is stuffed with sweet onions. It is superb along side any barbequed meat -- especially pork.” - by Andi
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine crackers and 4 tablespoons of butter in a bowl until well blended. Press into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of 8 inch pie plate to form a shell. Refrigerate until needed.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic slowly until tender, about 12 minutes. Arrange onions in the cracker crust.
- Beat eggs, whole milk, chives, and salt in a bowl until blended. Pour the mixture over the onions. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Garnish with the parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 291 cal
- 22 g
- 16.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (60)Rate This Recipe
"This is very good; the onions come out nice and sweet. I recommend one significant change, however: baking the crumb crust for several minutes before adding the onions and egg/milk mixture, otherwise..." See more it ends up soggy. Also, you can switch up what type of cheese you use or add slices of tomato on top for an attractive presentation."
The Messy Cook
"Delicious! I made this into a heart healthy recipe. I used smart balance butter, low fat milk, low fat shredded cheese, 1 egg + egg whites and no crackers. I also added diced yellow and green bell pep..." See morepers and 1/2 tbsp sugar. Definitely try! "
Vidalia Onion Pie
Cheese and Onion Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.