Sweet Vidalia Onion Pie39 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“This eggy, cheesy pie is a great seasonal side dish in place of potatoes, rice, pasta, etcetera.” - by SSHODGDON
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together crushed crackers and 1/3 cup melted butter. Press mixture firmly into a 9 inch pie pan and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and saute onions until translucent and tender but not brown. Spread into prepared crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, salt, and white pepper. Pour mixture over onions then sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 234 cal
- 18.3 g
- 13.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (39)Rate This Recipe
"Not a vidalia onion season has gone by without being asked to make it several times. I am always asked for the recipe. I only use 4 Tablespoons of butter in the crust (saltines do not work, you must..." See more use Ritz type crackers). I use whole milk instead of half and half, but nonfat or lowfat milks don't cut it. Topped with about a cup of cheese, this pie is an awesome side for grilled meats."
"This makes a delicious & easy side dish and substitutions work well. I used a variety of left over crackers and a mix of swiss and asiago cheeses. I also added thyme but any of your favorite herbs w..." See moreould work well."
"We all love this recipe. I have made it for the last 7 Christmases, once I got the recipe out of my mother-in-law : ) Hers was very specific stating 52 ritz crackers and if Vidalia Onions aren't in ..." See moreseason, add sugar to the onions while sauteing them. I am a big fan of sweetening the onions, so do it even when the Vidalia onions are in season. I also make it 1-2 days ahead and just reheat the day of, to free oven space (the microwave even works...gasp!). Enjoy!"
Vidalia Sweet Onion Dip
Dad's Onion Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.