Red Currant Pie29 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“I got this recipe from a friend in Germany. It's a delicious way to incorporate red currants into baking.” - by BIGTIME
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch pie
- To Make Dough: In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Mix in butter, sugar, egg yolks and lemon zest until mixture forms dough. Let rest in cool place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Roll out dough and put into a springform pan.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes, or until golden yellow.
- To Make Filling: In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually stir in sugar and cornstarch; beat for 5 minutes. Fold currants into mixture and pour into pie crust.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 257 cal
- 10.3 g
- 38.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (29)Rate This Recipe
"Bravo Patti ! My husband and I have red currents growing in our garden for this very reason !We both know this exact pie from Freiburg,Germany ! This recipe is easy and very delicious ! I found that..." See more it as just as good to use my cuisenart for the dough and then just pat it in firmly into the pie pan . Put the pan in the fridge for 30 minutes and it is ready to be baked. Also the heat of the oven was 360 for the final 10 minutes. It also helps to use a "spring form " pan as it is a delicate pie."
"This recipe is typical of southern Germany. You must remember that they are talking about FRESH currants, not the dried ones we find in the supermarket...." See more"
Crustless Cranberry Pie
Date Sour Cream Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.