Chicken Kiev32 Reviews
- Prep: 50 min
- Cook: 12 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 2 min
“This fantastic Russian Chicken Kiev recipe has been my family favorite for the past 30 years. It is reasonably easy to prepare and is worth the time.” - by William Anatooskin
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Combine 1/3 cup butter, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. On a 6x6 inch piece of aluminum foil, spread mixture to about 2x3 inches. Place this mixture in the coldest section of your freezer and freeze until firm. This can be done ahead of time.
- Remove all fat from the chicken breast. If using whole chicken breasts, cut them in half. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of waxed paper and using a mallet, pound carefully to about 1/4 inch thickness or less.
- When butter mixture is firm, remove from freezer and cut into 6 equal pieces. Place one piece of butter on each chicken breast. Fold in edges of chicken and then roll to encase the butter completely. Secure the chicken roll with small skewers or toothpicks.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with water until fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, dill weed and flour. Coat the chicken well with the seasoned flour. Dip the floured chicken in the egg mixture and then roll in the bread crumbs. Place coated chicken on a shallow tray and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a medium size deep frying pan, heat vegetable oil to medium-high. Fry chicken for about 5 minutes then turn over and fry for 5 minutes longer or until the chicken is golden brown. To test for doneness, cut into one of the rolled chicken breasts to make sure it doesn't have a pink interior. Serve immediately, garnished with a sliced lemon twist and a sprinkling or parsley.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 485 cal
- 24.9 g
- 24.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (32)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe is really good, however I had a hard time keeping the butter in the chicken. I fried the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, then baked it for about 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven ..." See moreand it came out perfectly. I did use more dill, because I love it. A great recipe!"
"I have to disagree with everyone who said this recipe was 'easy'. To keep it short and sweet, be prepared. It was messy, time consuming (getting the chicken wrapped securely around those pats of b..." See moreutter is HARD....rolling the chicken breasts pierced with skewers/toothpicks in the coatings and getting them well-covered is even harder!!) and the end result was very bland. Maybe I should have used some salt (which is not listed anywhere in the recipe)??"
Mexican Chicken Kiev
Best Chicken Ever
Just swipe to see more like this.