Farmer's Bread32 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“A big loaf of this simple white bread will satisfy the most hungry farmer. City folks will love it too!” - by ARVILLALAR
Original recipe yields 1 - 3 pound loaf
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of flour and salt. Cut in the butter and stir in the yeast mixture. Beat in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Butter a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Form the dough into a large oval loaf. Place onto the prepared pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. When the loaf is risen, cut a 1/2 inch deep cross onto the top of it. Brush the top with water before baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 295 cal
- 5.8 g
- 52.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (32)Rate This Recipe
"This bread was very easy to make! I have been making my own bread for some time now....and this is a wonderful recipe. It helps to put a pan of boiling water on the rack UNDER the rack the bread is ..." See moreon. It makes a nice chewy crust, with warm soft bread on the inside! Thanks for sharing this receipe:)"
"This bread was yummy, but not as wonderful as I was expecting. It was my first time making bread, so it's possible that I did something wrong! Tastes great with honey drizzled on top...." See more"
Homemade Wonderful Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.