Salmon and Potato Pie36 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“A favorite with our family, this French-Canadian dish has been passed down from many generations. It's a simple dish that can be served with a bechamel sauce. If you like salmon you will enjoy this pie.” - by MACKENZIE
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
- In a medium saucepan, cook onions, garlic and butter over medium heat until vegetables become transparent in color.
- Add onion/garlic mixture, salmon and thyme to cooked potatoes. Mash all together with milk, adding just enough to bring about a mashed potato consistency. Spread evenly into pie shell.
- Place second pie shell over top of salmon mixture. Cut slits into the upper shell, then pinch edges of both pie shells together. Bake on lower rack of oven for 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 413 cal
- 18.2 g
- 52.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (36)Rate This Recipe
"I love salmon pie! BUt I didn't want the extra fat from the crust. So I added some bread crumbs and some chopped parsley and I baked it as a loaf. I left out the thyme and I used fresh salmon instea..." See mored of the can. Served it with a bechamel sauce and steamed broccoli. It was FANTASTIC!! I didn't even miss the crust and I liked it even better since it wasn't so heavy."
"Being French Canadian, I am very familiar with Salmon Pie. My mother however often used 2 cans of Tuna instead of Salmon and aslo added the juice from the can with half the amount of milk. I loved thi..." See mores pie on its second day-- re heat and add butter under the crust... amazing."
"I've made other recipes for salmon pie and liked them but this is the way my french mom and her mom always made them. My potatoes were large so I used three and completely omitted the milk. I used t..." See morehe juice from the 14.5 oz. can of RED, (please use red!)salmon to mash the potatoes then mixed in the rest of the ingredients. Excellent flavor. Thanks Louise!"
Sweet Potato Pie VIII
Beef Potato House Pie Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.