The Old Boy's Strawberry Pie219 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a summertime tradition in my family, and we have NEVER tasted, (or even seen), a strawberry pie like it! You will LOVE this. 'The Old Boy' is my dad, but my mom remembers her grandmother making a pie like this when she was young.” - by SCATTERFLAKE
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place a drip pan on lowest shelf to catch pie juices.
- To Make Topping: In a medium bowl, mix until fluffy the 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, butter, and nutmeg.
- Place cleaned strawberries in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and cornstarch. Gently coat berries with this mixture; be careful not to crush berries.
- Pour berries into prepared pie crust mounding them in the middle; mounding is necessary as the berries will sink as they bake. Cover berries with crumb topping and top crumbs with about 15 pea-sized blobs of butter. Wrap edges of pie crust with foil to prevent burning.
- Bake pie in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 40 minutes. When there are 10 minutes left of baking, sprinkle a little extra sugar over crumb topping and then finish baking.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 410 cal
- 16.6 g
- 62.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (219)Rate This Recipe
"By utilizing the suggestions of previous reviewers and adding a couple of my own, this pie turned out beautifully. I'll definitely be making this pie again and again. Here's what I recommend. 1) Taste..." See more your strawberries first to determine how sweet they are. This will help you decide how much sugar to use. 2) As suggested by a previous reviewer, discard the excess sugar, flour and cornstarch mixture to prevent your pie from becoming goopy and soupy. 3) Make a brown sugar oatmeal crumble topping for your pie by combining one stick of butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup oatmeal, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt. The topping will be beautiful and brown."
"This pie was very easy and very sweet! I thought the crumble topping might taste better made with brown sugar?! It seemed to harden up a lot and not really "crumble". I may try brown sugar next time ..." See moreI make it. Also, a tip if you have extra flour, sugar and cornstarch that does not mix in completely with the strawberries throw it out and do not add it to the pie. I made that mistake and it all sunk to the bottom of the pie so there was a thick layer of white gooey liquid at the bottom. Other than that it was a quick and delicious pie!"
"This was the best strawberry pie I've ever had! I didn't know if I'd like a baked strawberry pie, as I'd only had the fresh, unbaked kind before but this was fantastic! As soon as I sampled my first s..." See morelice I was already planning to bake another!!! Incidentally, I prefer it chilled and not eaten warm, as I believe you taste the flavors better."
Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie
Big Guy Strawberry Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.