Amazing Hawaiian Chicken Chili26 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 55 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“This is a hearty chicken chili with sweet pineapple and a few subtle kicks of spice that the whole family will enjoy.” - by Jessica and Antonia
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Place the chicken breasts and barbecue sauce in a gallon-sized zip top bag and allow to marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet placed over high heat, and add the chicken. Cook the chicken until it is browned and almost cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet, chop into 1 inch pieces, and place in the crock of a slow cooker.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet over medium-high heat, add the diced onion, garlic, and roasted red pepper, and cook and stir until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, ancho chile powder, ground cumin, ground ginger, vanilla, and sugar. Cook, stirring, until blended, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Drain the canned pineapple and reserve the fruit. Stir the pineapple juice, kidney beans, black beans, tomatoes, and chipotle salsa into the ingredients in the slow cooker and set the heat to High. Allow the chili to cook on High until it begins to bubble, about 20 minutes. Turn the slow cooker to Low and cook for 1 additional hour.
- Stir the reserved pineapple into the chili and continue to cook until the pineapple is warm, about 15 minutes. Salt and pepper the chili to taste and serve piping hot.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 249 cal
- 4.4 g
- 32.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (26)Rate This Recipe
"I made this because it sounded different but good at the same time. It was ok but nothing special, It took ALLOT longer to prep and make than what it said. I think brown sugar would give a better fl..." See moreavor. I don't know if I will make this agian. Unless I really "tweak" it."
stick a fork in me, I'm done
"Alo-HA! great idea! just dumped everything including, frozen raw chicken ,into the slow cooker. used taco sauce instead of bbq sauce; we lllooovvee bbq sauce, but dr.colbert doesn't recommend it due..." See more to the high level of stealth sugar. used regular hot salsa, so we added paprika to give it more of a smoky flavor. next time, we'll add an additional can of pineapple tidbits with the juice."
"I will never for the life of me understand why people insist on labelling food items as Hawaiian just because they have pineapple as an ingredient. This recipe has a lot going on, but very little goin..." See moreg for it. I decided to give it a shot to see if something interesting might play out from the extensive ingredient list. I agree with the previous reviewer that the prep-time is much more than the recipe indicates. Sweetheart is Hawaiian and after the first bowl, he did not care for it. "
Chicken Chili with Black Beans and Corn
Chicken, Veggie and Two-Bean Chili
Just swipe to see more like this.