Stuffed Tomatoes with Grits and Ricotta10 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This recipe makes a great appetizer. I spent a lot of time experimenting with ingredients and finally concluded that this recipe you now see listed turned out to be the best. The grits give a unique texture to the exotic flavors of the Parmesan and Asiago cheeses.” - by Peter Alfieri
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a small pot combine dry grits, 1 1/2 cups water, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer until grits are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then stir in the cooled grits, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and Asiago cheese. Stir in the garlic powder, parsley, crushed red pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
- Slice the top off of each tomato. Use a spoon to hollow out the tomatoes, leaving the outer shells (approximately 1/4 inch thick) intact. Fill each with the grits mixture. Arrange stuffed tomatoes on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until light golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 179 cal
- 7.8 g
- 16.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"This is a true 5-star winner. Very different and interesting combination of grits and cheese. All who tried this recipe were quite impressed. No negatives, which is always a surprise. Made absolutel..." See morey no modifications. (which I never do)"
"This was truly delicious! We ate it with grilled shrimp instead of as an appetizer. If I did make it as an appy, I would make it in cherry tomatoes. Be sure to watch it at the end because a couple ..." See moreof my tomatoes split in the oven, and spilled on the pan which doesn't make a pretty presentation ; ). Delicious!"
"What a tasty side dish! Since I used heirloom tomatoes from my garden, I hated to waste the innards, so I mixed some of them back in with the cheese mixture and used the more watery part in the shrim..." See morep scampi sauce I cooked as my main dish. I also used basil from my garden instead of parsley. Delicious!"
Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes
Just swipe to see more like this.