Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese276 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“This is a classic recipe for macaroni and cheese. The kids will love this!” - by JAYDE175
Original recipe yields 6 to 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Prepare the elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in the flour until a cream colored paste forms. Then pour in the milk and stir constantly until this comes to a hard boil, then stir for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the macaroni is cooked, spread 1/2 of it into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Then layer 1/2 of the grated onion, 1/2 of the salt and pepper and 1/2 of each of the cheeses. Repeat this one more time: macaroni, onion, salt and pepper and cheeses, and then pour the reserved white sauce over all. Top off with small pats of butter to taste.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (7 total)
- 401 cal
- 23.3 g
- 29.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (276)Rate This Recipe
"Awesome!!! Just like Mom used to make!!! I have never rated a recipe before but one thing I noticed with the reviews...if you are going to rate the recipe make it the way it is written. One of the pre..." See morevious reviewers gave it a four because she changed it all over the place and obviously thought hers was better, I looked at other reviews she has done and has done the same thing to other recioes. Review it on it's merits, not on what you think you did to make it your own!"
"So Good! Among my friends, I'm known for my mac and cheese, but using this recipe, I really blew their socks off. The addition of the onion really added flavor. The only thing I did differently was us..." See moreed different types of cheese (the secret to my mac n' cheese) I use white sharp cheddar for taste, plain yellow sharp cheddar for appearance, and hot pepper cheese for a bit of spice."
Old School Mac n' Cheese
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.