Baked Alaska40 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 11 hr
“Cake and ice cream dessert topped with meringue -- vary ice cream flavors for your signature dish. I like cherry-burgundy ice cream!” - by shirleyo
Original recipe yields 1 - 8 inch round Alaska
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice cream in container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.
- Prepare cake mix with egg and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven according to package instructions, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and prettily spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way to paper to seal. Return to freezer 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 330 cal
- 11.1 g
- 53.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (40)Rate This Recipe
"I cheated a little and used sliced pound cake cake as a base then I poured some Baileys liquour over it before the ice cream was added. Other than that it went like a dream. If you have a chefs blo..." See morew torch you don't even need to put it in the oven as your are not actually cooking the meringue."
"This recipe was great but was a little confused when it came to preparing the cake. This recipe called for 1 egg along with the almond extract but if you prepare the cake mix by the directions on the..." See more box it calls for 3 eggs so I went by the box directions and it turned out really good. Everyone was amazed that the Baked Alaska didn't melt and was very tasty. We used orange/pineapple ice cream which was very yummy! Thanks"
"My family loves this and my kids ask me to make this for their birthday cakes. I make this with a browine bottom instead of a cake bottom (make as directed on box). You can also line your bowl with ..." See moresaran wrap. Once the brownie has cooled completely and the ice cream is hard, I put the ice cream on top of the brownie and spread the meringue over the top of the ice cream and to the bottom of the brownie. Make sure that you have a fairly thick layer of meringue completley covering everything or your ice cream will melt. I bake this at 375 until lightly brown. Freeze left overs. Once frozen it is hard to cut. "
Baked Rice Pudding
Just swipe to see more like this.