Creme Brulee224 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“This is a very nice dessert to serve when entertaining.” - by COOKALOT
Original recipe yields 5 servings
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
- Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately. Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
- Pour cream mixture into the top of a double boiler. Stir over simmering water until mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon; approximately 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat immediately and pour into a shallow heat-proof dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 2 tablespoons white sugar and brown sugar. Sift this mixture evenly over custard. Place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until custard is set again.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 561 cal
- 50.1 g
- 24 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (224)Rate This Recipe
"The ingredients and the amounts given in this recipe are fine, but as a professional pastry chef, I don't feel that the way it is prepared is the very BEST way you can serve Creme Brulee. After pour..." See moreing a little of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture and whisking briskly, pour the cream/yolk mixture into the rest of the cream and whisk. There will be a lot of foam on the top. Skim this off with a strainer and throw away. The double boiler step is not necessary. Pour the hot mixture into individual serving dishes or ramekins and place in a baking dish. Set the dish with the ramekins in it on your oven shelf, then pour hot water in the dish so the water comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake at 375 anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. They are done when you shake the dish gently and the brulees jiggle just slightly in the middle. The jiggle shouldn't be a liquid jiggle, but more of a gelatin-like jiggle. Remove from oven and let the brulees cool in the water bath for about 15 minutes, then remove and put the brulees in the refrigerator to chill. Just before serving, sprinkle the tops with white granulated sugar and shake off the excess. Place under broiler til caramelized or use a propane torch to burn the tops. Serve immediately. Part of the fun of Creme Brulee comes from the crispiness of the burnt top compared to the creaminess of the custard. When you burn the top and then re-refrigerate the custards, the top will become soft again, which isn't as pleasing to t"
"Great recipe, when following the modifications suggested by chefpone in the earlier reviews. To stop the custard cooking again when you caramelise the sugar under the grill/broiler, pack the tray arou..." See morend the dishes of creme brulee with ice. This keeps the wonderful contrast in texture between the hot and crispy layer of burnt sugar, and the cool slightly wobbly creme beneath. Lovely."
Irish Cream Creme Brulee
Simple Creme Brulee Dessert
Just swipe to see more like this.