Italian Fig Cookies II17 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Not a dainty cookie - it is a hearty fig-filled delight!” - by Valerie
Original recipe yields 24 cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in the milk and egg until the dough comes together. Divide dough into two pieces, wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a food processor or blender, grind the figs, raisins and almonds until they are coarsely chopped. In a medium bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup of sugar, hot water, cinnamon and pepper. Stir in the fruit mixture, cover and set aside until the dough is ready.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of the dough out to a 12 inch square. Cut each piece into 12 3x4 inch rectangles. Using a heaping tablespoon of filling for each rectangle, spread filling along one of the short sides of the rectangle. Roll up from that side. Place rolls, seam side down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Curve each roll slightly. Snip outer edge of the curve three times.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Glaze with your favorite confectioners' glaze.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 154 cal
- 6.3 g
- 22.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (17)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe produces a delicious variation of the classical Sicilian fig cookie known as ( il )cuccidato . The plural form is ( i ) cuccidati . Typically the cuccidato is not curved but is formed by ..." See morecutting 2-3 inch segments from the baked 18"-long fig-mixture stuffed pastry . The festive nature of the cuccidati ( normally served only during the Christmas Holiday ) can be enhanced by adding colorful sprinkles to the frosting mentioned in this recipe ."
"delicious and not difficult to make. i rolled four long strips, about 18x4 inches each, put filling along the center from end to end, then brought the long edges together and pinched to seal. i used..." See more a pizza cutter to cut cookies from each log. i got 52 cookies this way. my baking time was about 15 minutes. the tops did not come out brown, but they were not doughy at all. i used a simple sugar glaze of 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, 2 TBS orange juice, and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract; and then put some pretty sprinkles on."
Tiramisu Layer Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.