Orange Date Pinwheel Cookies7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“The tang of the orange and sweetness of the dates combine to produce a rich, wonderful cookie.” - by Donna
Original recipe yields 4 dozen
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the dates, 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt and orange juice. Cook, stirring frequently until the dates have softened. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon orange zest and pecans. When mixture has cooled, process in a food processor or blender until pecans are finely ground. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1/2 cup white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla and 2 teaspoons orange zest. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients to form a smooth dough. Divide dough into thirds, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm.
- Roll each third of the dough out into a rectangle 1/4 inch in thickness. Spread 1/3 of the filling over each rectangle leaving a 1 inch strip of dough uncovered on one of the long sides. Starting at the edge opposite of the uncovered strip, roll the dough up jellyroll style and press lightly to seal. Wrap the rolls in waxed paper and refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. slice chilled rolls of dough into coins about 1/4 inch thick. Place slices 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly golden. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving (48 total)
- 114 cal
- 4.3 g
- 17.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"a little time consuming but I make them every year because they are just delicious!..." See more"
"The best! After chilling, the dough was VERY easy to roll out. I sliced only two of the logs (I put the third one in the freezer), and got 48 cookies. They taste and look terrific! Thank you :-)..." See more"
"These cookies are absolutely wonderful. This is a recipe that my mom used to make when we were children. I remember helping her make these cookies. I used finely chopped pecans, thus omitting having t..." See moreo use the food processor. I used 2 teaspoons of baking powder omitting the baking soda & reduced amount of salt to 1/4 teaspoon."
Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies I
Date Filled Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.