Family Sicilian Sauce and Meatballs26 Reviews
“My Mother's family originally came from Sicily and every family member makes his or her own version - this version came most recently via Brooklyn. Use your favorite meat and Italian red wine for this sauce and serve with your favorite pasta. This also is a great pizza sauce if you leave out about half of the meat. If there are any leftovers, they freeze very well. MANGIA!” - by PETEIYC
Original recipe yields 24 servings
- To make the meatballs, combine chopped meat, eggs, bread, Romano cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Form golf ball-sized meatballs; place into freezer to firm up.
- To make sauce, heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and fry links of sausage.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef chunks and pork neck bones; reserve.
- When onions and garlic are done, turn heat down to low. Add tomato paste; stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the browned beef and pork, crushed tomatoes, wine, bay leaves, cinnamon, parsley, basil and salt and pepper to taste; stir.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs; reserve.
- Simmer sauce over low heat for 3 to 4 hours, add meatballs and simmer for 1 hour. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Cover pasta with sauce and meatballs, serve.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 639 cal
- 31.9 g
- 58.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (26)Rate This Recipe
"I have always considered myself an excellent saucemaker. However, I made this sauce for my Sicilian husband and he absolutely loved it! I used a little more red wine than called for to get a little ..." See moredifferent flavor. I also made it a meat sauce instead of making meatballs. I added ground beef AND ground pork to the recipe, instead of the brisket. Unbelievable! The flavor of the sauce really stuck to the pasta (I used rigatoni), and the aroma throughout the house was great. People could smell it from outside. Obviously, I can't say enough. One of the best I've ever had!"
"This was amazing - the whole family felt like we were eating at a fine Italian restaurant. This recipe is not difficult and is SURE to impress others. My kids keep telling me how great it was. I do..." See moren't understand how another reviewer had ingredients left over (?) she must have skipped a step because everything is used and the instructions are very descriptive."
Penne with Spicy Vodka Tomato Cream Sauce
Family Secret Meatballs and Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.