Mom's Casserole25 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“This recipe is easy to make and feeds a crowd. Great to freeze also! This can be made more low-calorie by using ground turkey, fat free sour cream and low-calorie cream cheese. Serve with garlic bread and salad, if desired.” - by SLOcook
Original recipe yields 11 servings
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook hamburger, onion and garlic; add tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream and green onions; mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish, spread 1/4 cup of meat mixture on bottom. Layer with some egg noodles, cream cheese mixture and meat sauce. Repeat layers ending with meat sauce; top with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until bubbly; serve.
Amount Per Serving (11 total)
- 396 cal
- 24.9 g
- 26.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (25)Rate This Recipe
"This was really scrumptious! After reading the reviews I took the advice of changing the amounts and used whole 16 oz bag of noodles, 12 oz sour cream and 8 oz cream cheese which I mixed in with the n..." See moreoodles first before layering, then used 1 1/2 lbs of meat. I also used 26 oz of sauce which I think really made the difference in it not being too dry. I like lots of garlic too and only used 1/2 white onion that I cooked first! Fit perfectly in 9x13 pan and the cheese didn't overflow! Delish and my 5 yr old loved it!"
"I am an onion lover but this was too much...however, I didn't realize it until I tried a bite. Plus, it didn't seem that the meat/sauce mixture could cover the amount of noodles the recipe called f..." See moreor (maybe double the meat/sauce or reduce the noodles?) nor did it layer as nicely as I would have hoped. Not bad...but I'm not sure if I will make again."
"The measurements for this recipe aren't even close to serving 11 people. There wasn't even enough of it to fit in a 9x13 pan. I put it in a square 8x8 pan. You'd need to use a 16 oz bag of egg noodles..." See more and double everything else except the onions. No way this fits into a 9x13 pan. I just stared at it in disbelief when I started assembling it. Also, it would be easier to mix the noodles with the sour cream/cream cheese mixture before assembling it. I found several of the noodles once baked were dry with no sauce on them. The taste is ok, it seems to be missing something though. May want to experiment with spices you know you like. I didn't add anything to it, made the recipe just like it appears and I was pretty disappointed. I *may* make it again, but will make some big changes."
Mom's Green Bean Vegetable Casserole
Double Cheese Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.