Macaroni and Cheese V310 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“This is my mom's recipe for macaroni and cheese with a bread crumb topping and a little dry mustard for zip. It is great!! You can make it more or less cheesy, depends on your taste.” - by LEACH
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Place the bread crumbs into a small bowl and mix well with the melted butter; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain, then place into prepared casserole dish.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the minced onion and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, pepper, salt, and dry mustard until incorporated, then pour in the milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring constantly until the milk has thickened, about 10 minutes. Take the milk off of the heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until melted. Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni, then sprinkle evenly with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake until the top is golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 461 cal
- 23 g
- 43.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (310)Rate This Recipe
"This is a good base recipe but needs just a bit of tweeking. 1. Because I have a picky toddler I avoided the onions. 2. When making the sauce, add 1 cup of milk to your sauce pan and reserve 1/2 a c..." See moreup cold milk to mix your dry ingredients in. Mix the dry ingredients into the 1/2 cup cold milk and mix thoroughly--you will prevent lumps this way. Add the remaining 1/2 cup and stir. I found it didn't thicken very well until I added the cheese. I kept the cheese on the heat until the sauce thickened. 3. I recommend adding a second cheese. I added romano but parmasean, monteray Jack or any other sharp cheese would really enhance the flavour. 4. I crushed up 2 crackers and put them on top, I sprayed a bit of olive oil onto them to allow for browning. I also grated a bit of cheedar cheese onto the bread crumbs maybe 2-3 tbsp."
"This is excellent, not your box mix at all. However (isn't there always a however when you love to cook?) I agreed with the reviewer who said less or no breadcrumbs. The second time I made it I left..." See more out the breadcrumbs and when I took it out of the oven I topped it with crumbled bacon and finely chopped green onions. Oh wow! My husband declared it "company fare"."
"This is exactly how my sister and I grew up with my mom's mac and cheese. I added extra cheese and milk so that it was very creamy and cheesy. Perfect!! And yes, it is a bit grainy. ALL homemade m..." See moreac and cheese, made with REAL cheese will come out slightly grainy in the end. If you want the smooth kind, then quit making REAL mac and cheese, go buy some velveeta and be happy with your processed version."
Mac and Cheese II
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.