Holiday Onions5 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“This dish is a hit with kids as well as adults. It has been on our Thanksgiving and Christmas tables ever since I can remember, and that's a long time! Sliced onions are baked with a rich Cheddar cheese sauce and sprinkled with paprika.” - by JSRW512
Original recipe yields 4 to 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 3 quart casserole dish.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Stir in onions; cook until tender but still firm. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring until golden brown. Pour in the milk and allow the mixture to thicken. Mix in the cheese, allowing it to melt.
- Arrange onions in casserole dish and cover with cheese mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbling around edges.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 302 cal
- 15 g
- 31.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"Made this tonight for our family and guests. It turned out very very good. However upon reading previous review, of it being bland, before adding cheese sauce, I put salt and pepper on the onions, a..." See morend then after I put the cheese sauce and paprika on, I sprinkled chives on the top. I will probably make double the cheese sauce next time, just to add more substance. Not using as many onions next time (I don't have a food scale so I over guesstimated the 3 lbs of onions), this is a very good side dish!!!"
"My husband and I both love onions but, this receipe was very disapointing. Very bland...." See more"
Just swipe to see more like this.