Southern Spicy Fried Chicken15 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“This one is finger-licking good! It's a keeper and a must try!” - by Maureen Hogan
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and place them in a deep-sided baking dish.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, hot pepper sauce, and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken, stir to coat all sides of the chicken pieces, and cover the dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours to marinate.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk mixture, and shake off excess. Discard the remaining buttermilk mixture.
- Place the flour, 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste in a large plastic zipper bag, and shake well to combine. Place 2 or 3 pieces of chicken at a time into the plastic bag, and shake well to coat the chicken pieces with seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Gently place chicken pieces into the hot oil, and fry until chicken is cooked through and golden brown, 8-10 minutes (breasts and wings) or 13 to 15 minutes (thighs and drumsticks). Drain the fried chicken on paper towels.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 480 cal
- 23.5 g
- 41.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"Great recipe - especially like the addition of cayenne and hot sauce - it gave the chicken some zest without being over powering. I also used a red/black pepper blend in the flour, which gave it extr..." See morea flavor. I used a whole chicken, cut up and fried my pieces in my electric skillet and then transferrred them to a hot oven 350-375 to finish cooking. I also brined the chicken pieces in an ice water/salt bath (so they would bleed) for about 40 minutes before putting them in buttermilk - because of the salt water bath, I omitted all salt. Will definitely be making this again! Thank you."
"This was really good. I soaked the chicken in buttermilk overnight. It didn't seem spicy to me, but it crusted nicely and was very good...." See more"
Southern Fried Chicken
A Southern Fried Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.