Chinese New Year Sweet Rice3 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 3 hr
“This is a traditional Chinese sweet rice recipe that is usually served for the Chinese New Year. This recipe was handed down to me from my dad who liked to eat this alone as a main dish, so it's a little heartier than most other sweet rice recipes. For those of you who know what Chinese sweet rice is, this is the most awesome tasting recipe yet!” - by SEMANO
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place the jasmine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and let stand at least 1 hour, until the water has been absorbed. Transfer to a steamer basket and fluff with a fork. Steam 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl with enough hot water to cover. Soak 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, remove stems, and slice.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, sugar, and red wine. Place mushrooms in the bowl, and marinate at least 15 minutes.
- In the steamer basket, steam the mushrooms and Chinese-style sausage 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and chop.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok over high heat. Toss in the shrimp and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until nearly opaque. Stir in the mushrooms, Chinese-style sausage, pork sausage, green onion, and water chestnuts. Cook and stir about 2 minutes. Mix in the rice and remaining oyster sauce. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in the peas. Serve when the peas are heated through.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 665 cal
- 16.9 g
- 100.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I think there is an error in the first ingredient of this recipe. Chinese Sweet Rice is always made with a short-grain rice called glutinous rice (aka sweet rice or sticky rice). Jasmine rice is a l..." See moreong-grain rice and will not yield the sticky consistency. The two types of rice are not interchangeable in recipes."
"In reference to the first review: It is your assumption that the author is referring to "sticky rice". However, the phrase "sweet rice" is also applied to Jasmine rice because it is named after the s..." See moreweet-smelling jasmine flower of Southeast Asia. Jasmine rice has a naturally distinctive scent released during the cooking process and is likened to a flowery perfume. In addition, the ingredients in this recipe go perfectly with a rice grain such as Jasmine rice that can separate without difficulty. It makes it easier to combine the ingredients in this dish in such a way that each bite can blend the various flavors. Don't forget: Wok at least three times a week for a healthy heart!"
New Year's Fried Rice
Chinese Chicken Fried Rice II
Just swipe to see more like this.