Pastitsio I6 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“Handed down by my mother in law. A family favorite.” - by Joan Zaffary
Original recipe yields 1 9x13 inch pan
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef and onion, until meat is brown. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, a pinch of pepper, tomato sauce and cinnamon and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Dump in flour, all at once, and stir until a smooth roux is formed. Pour in 2 1/2 cups milk, a little at a time, stirring until smooth. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and 1/4 cup Parmesan; bring to a boil, and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs and 1 cup milk. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place half the cooked macaroni in the baking dish and top with all of the beef mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup grated Parmesan over the meat. Place the remaining macaroni over the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the macaroni. Cover all with the white sauce.
- In a medium bowl, stir together bread cubes and melted butter, until bread is well coated. Place bread cubes evenly over macaroni.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 847 cal
- 41.7 g
- 77.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"I did not like this recipe very much at all. It messed up my whole kitchen with all the bowls and saucepans. Did not like the cinnamon at all, seemed too much. Kids would not eat it. Very disappointed..." See more."
"This was a lot of work for a very dry, bland dish. There was not enough white sauce or egg mixture to thoroughly cover the noodles. More meat would have helped, too...." See more"
"This is almost the same recipe that has been in my family for decades! Our recipe didn't call for bread cubes, however. As someone already mentioned, it IS an acquired taste, but our family added our ..." See moreown little "fixin's" for pizazz. I like mozzarella cheese on top. My mother enjoyed paprika on hers. My father liked black and green olives on his."
Macaroni and Cheese with Sausage and Pears
Just swipe to see more like this.